Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2010, 08:12 PM

Default Qantas/Alan Joyce on Masterchef

Since when were Qantas a sponsor of masterchef?

Currentyl the contestants are serving up "Business class" dishes out of VH-OQF's galleys for Alan Joyce, Neil Perry and the 2 Masterchef judges.. Some of it looks interesting, but id be interested to know, of any of you who fly business class, Is this food up to business class standard?

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 16th June 2010, 09:06 PM

I dont think that they are sponsors. Im pretty sure its just another interesting challenge cooking for special guests to get a reward in the TV show.

Happy to be corrected
Old 16th June 2010, 09:49 PM

Hi Guys,

Qantas is listed in the partners section of the Masterchef website if that sheds any light.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:59 PM

The second prawn dish is markedly close to one that I had recently on QF2. I can't say that I have ever seen quale on the menu but me thinks this would more likely be a First Class offering if anything.

The closest offering would have to be the desserts. It's pretty much always the choice between a cheese and cracker platter or a cake of some kind; sticky date, chocolate with cream or vanilla ice cream or a cheesecake (usually. New York style).

The portions were pretty accurate, however the teryaki quale looked a little on the higher portion size of the equation.

Neil P was a little harsh at the start but this is understandable when you have the big kahuna sitting less then 3 feet away from you.

I must admit that I had half a smile when Alan bought up the steak sandwich as I can recall some posts on this forum (that are no doubt archived now as they were part of the old yssy forum a few years ago) about members loving the steak sandwich that could be ordered any time during service time and proclaiming how good that sandwich was.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:50 PM

In terms of presentation, I thought the judges comments were pretty accurate. Apart from the main and dessert they discussed, the other dishes didn't look upto the same standard that I've seen in QF business class.

I'll probably be bashed for it, but imho the Qantas business class food is quite outstanding, with some of the dishes in particular being amongst the nicest I've ever had.

I think the show did highlight one thing though - just how superb a job is done by the airlines and cabin crew to produce the standard of food that they do, given the aircraft environment.
Old 17th June 2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villy Curtin View Post
I can't say that I have ever seen quale on the menu but me thinks this would more likely be a First Class offering if anything.
Well, depending on the airline, I'm sure that it's readily available...

However as I feel you meant Quail, that presents a whole new spin on things
Old 17th June 2010, 06:29 AM

As Dan mentioned, they are a partner of the show. I hardly watch the show but I thought it was a good challenge because it shows how difficult it can be to produce quality food (taste, appearance) etc with the restrictions of being inflight and using small galleys.

I think it again shows how challenging it is for airlines to make a menu that will be enjoyed in flight, food that can be prepared on the ground and transferred to the galley for preperation. It isn't just reheating a prepared meal, the crew really have to put together a meal with all the presentatin. If anyone thinks it is easy to put together food for Business and First Class in a galley of that size and give other restrictions, I hope they watched the show last night.
Old 18th June 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen H View Post
I'll probably be bashed for it, but imho the Qantas business class food is quite outstanding, with some of the dishes in particular being amongst the nicest I've ever had.
Business class food is very good from my experience on domestic flights,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah C View Post
It isn't just reheating a prepared meal, the crew really have to put together a meal with all the presentatin.
quite a good point because they have to be plated as per guides and instructions,
Old 18th June 2010, 03:04 PM

Their is going to be more QF material to be shown on Sunday's episode.
As to wht it to be show im not sure.
Old 18th June 2010, 04:59 PM

I flew Business Class MEL-LAX and back on the A380 about a month ago, food on the way across wasnt too bad, if I remember rightly the main I had for lunch was rack of lamb and it was fairly tasty, and the breakfast was pretty good.

They didnt offer the steak sandwich as a order anytime meal on my flight, however they did have some sort of toasted sandwich with salami and salad which hit the spot in the middle of the night......

I will say that the highlight, airline food wise, was the meal we had in First on AA from DFW to LAX. They served up a prawn entree, a beautiful steak with mushroom sauce which was close to one of the best I had in the US (coupled with a sensational Shiraz), followed by a hot chocolate brownie with ice cream....

Was impressed with the meals I had on both QF & AA