Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 9th September 2008, 08:19 PM

G'day Matt

Those arrival times are fine, but if you could make your stay longer would be even better... on the last day you have an almost never ending departure of GA visiting A/C and Helicopters if that's what your into.

There is a bus that will pick you up and drop you off not far from the main gate.

Regards
David
Old 9th September 2008, 10:44 PM

Guys thanks for the advice. I'm there!
Old 10th September 2008, 09:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Just got confirmation that tickets will be available from this Friday (12th September) from www.ticketmaster.com.au

A question for anyone who has been in the past - are the flying programs on the Saturday and Sunday fairly similar? Just don't know if it's worth going on all of the public days...

Gareth.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood View Post
A question for anyone who has been in the past - are the flying programs on the Saturday and Sunday fairly similar?
If you pick up any official programme from the last 10 years or so you'll have the flying display pretty much covered. It hasn't changed.... provided you're happy with an RAAF and not USAF C-17?

The only thing worth going to Avalon to see is the GA and Rotary traffic at Avalon East..... it is supreme.

Infact I dare say the Wide Bay International Airshow is more "International" these days than the ADF display at Avalon.
Old 11th September 2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
If you pick up any official programme from the last 10 years or so you'll have the flying display pretty much covered.
Do you know where I can find one? I haven't been able to find anything through google...

Gareth.
Old 12th September 2008, 11:10 AM

I've got some since 2001. They are packed away at the moment. Let me know if interested and I could dig them out in the next few days (or weeks!). As mentioned above, pretty much the same display for the past couple of years. From memory I think they had the program on their website. Maybe contact them to see if they can get you a copy.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood View Post
Do you know where I can find one?
Sorry I don't, but I must confess my reply was laden with sarcasm. I'm sure others will agree that for such a hyped up show nothing much seems to change year in year out. Ever since the Russians stopped coming the show has lost its appeal....... the biggest highlight in recent years was the A300 Beluga that visited in 2003.

1992 looks to have been a good year, SU-27, Kamov KA-32, Mil Mi 17, AN-124, Il-96, Grumman EA-6 Prowler plus many more.

1995 saw an Il-78, Il-76 Water Bomber, SU-27 again, F-4 Phantom, Dornier Alpha Jet, Il-96M plus a TU-204 attend.

Since then it has been pretty much the same show year after year. I understand our desolation on a world scale and understand that the show is also a sales event but if anything the show seems to be in serious decline and its location probably has something to do with it, Avalon is hardly enticing and the conditions there over the last few years have been woeful.

No doubt the star attraction next year will be the Qantastic A380 which will mark the aerodromes A380 debut will it not? Surprising given it is the host aerodrome for the Australian International Airshow

Roll on Amberley......
Old 12th September 2008, 04:10 PM

I wont be going (for those who care), chosen to go to the Formula 1 GP 2 weeks later instead
Old 12th September 2008, 05:21 PM

$300 for a two day Grandstand ticket nad $160 for one day is pretty expensive.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:06 AM

AUSTRALIAN International Airshow leaders are deep in talks with NASA as they forge plans for a 2009 celebration of lunar exploration.

The March Avalon airshow will be world's first major airspace show to celebrate the 40th anniversary of man's landing on the moon.

"We'll be having displays, exhibits and hope to have special guests," Australian International Airshow chief executive Ian Honnery said.

"We've been in discussions with NASA about presentation of a major display. The discussions are well advanced but still subject to final approval.

"We're looking at bringing out to Australia people deeply and very significantly involved in the race for space."

Mr Honnery said a NASA edge would mesh naturally with the 2009 show theme Towards Tomorrow.

Tickets to the 2009 show are now on sale through Ticketmaster and Mr Honnery urged front-row fans to get in early for first-class gold passes offering reserved grandstand seats on the front runway.

The show will run from March 10 to 15 and be open to the public from March 13. Dates were shifted during June to avoid a clash with Melbourne's Australian Grand Prix.

Officials have heralded the ticket release by unveiling a fresh billboard on the Princes Freeway at Avalon.

Mr Honnery promised the 2009 show would again feature the latest and best of military hardware and many displays and amenities would be upgraded.

He said the Towards Tomorrow theme would include a major national forum and showcase of airspace careers.

The show delivers more than $22 million in economic flow-on for the Geelong region and more than $120 million to state coffers.

Geelong Advertiser - 13 SEP