Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th March 2008, 08:10 AM

Default Tiger Airways to fly across Tasman / New Hub Discussion

Quote:
Tiger Airways to fly across Tasman
by Nevil Gibson

Singapore's discount airline Tiger Airways has confirmed speculation it will be the next carrier to enter the transtasman market.

Speaking to the Australian Aviation Press Club in Sydney, chief executive Tony Davis said the Australia-New Zealand service was on the radar.

Earlier reports said Tiger was eyeing Palmerston North, among other New Zealand airports, where competition was low or non-existent.

Mr Davis said Tiger, which is part-owned by Singapore Airlines and Ryan Air, would take delivery of two A319 aircraft toward the end of the year as it prepared to launch more services to regional destinations in Australia.

Tiger would also add a fifth A320 jet to its Australian fleet next month, which together with the A319s would expand its seating capacity by 65 per cent.

In Australia, Tiger was targeting airports with shorter runways using the A319s, which seat 144 passengers compared with the 180-seat capacity of the A320, Mr Davis said.

Tiger is flying to 13 destinations in Australia from its base in Melbourne, and is negotiating with a number of airports about a second Australian base. It plans to have five bases in Australia within seven years.

Tiger is also expanding in Asia, where it has hubs in Korea as well as Singapore, and is negotiating for another in the Philippines.
Ref: http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_art...Business+Today
Old 20th March 2008, 11:03 AM

This is great news. With Freedom Air ceasing operations at months end this would be a great time for Tiger to come in and claim LCC status transtasman to NZ provincial ports.

Perhaps AirNZ will be forced to rethink its decision to do away with Freedom Air. From what I hear the sentiments for the majority are anti AirNZ for removing this LCC.

Rod
Old 20th March 2008, 01:09 PM

Dont get to exited, this announcement is a LONG way away, we might not know for about 1year+, as A319 are for australia, and i think that we would most likely see Tiger do a direct to Wellington, Auckland

Old 22nd March 2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Earlier reports said Tiger was eyeing Palmerston North, among other New Zealand airports, where competition was low or non-existent.
I would argue the merits of AKL as a port for Tiger. Competition there from Australia is okay. With airlines and code sharing AKL is serviced by Qantas, Lan Chile, Emirates, Air NZ, Pacific Blue, American Airlines, United Airlines, British Airways and Air China off the top of my head.

WLG has only QF and NZ to my knowledge. So perhaps this is an option for Tiger. But I am still willing to bet Tiger will be looking at the provincial ports with the departure of Freedom who were well utilised. Tiger would do quite well here.

Palmerston North, Hamilton, Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington would be my picks.

Rod
Old 22nd March 2008, 03:15 PM

I would have to agree with you there Rod with you picks of the smaller ports. I have to fly back at Christmas to NZ and was originally looking at direct BNE-DUD but now Air New Zealand is doing it the fares have increased to nearly $200 more than what you were able to do it last year. Bring on the competition, I am sure New Zealanders as a whole even in the smaller ports would encourage it, but would an Australians worst nightmare (more Kiwis).

Cheers

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldawson/
Old 22nd March 2008, 05:33 PM

Would Tiger use Melb's International Main terminal, or will they add a few sheds onto T4???

Old 8th May 2008, 12:31 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
The Gold Coast has firmed as the likely second hub for Tiger Airways in Australia, with the carrier just weeks away from an announcement. Tiger currently operates out of Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport, but is in “end stage negotiations” with a second hub, believed to be the Gold Coast. Adelaide and Perth have also been mooted in the past.

A Tiger Airways spokesman said two aircraft will be based at the new hub, moving to a total of five within three years.

Tiger eventually plans on having five bases around Australia. Asked to nominate the airline’s next hub, the spokesman said: “One could look at where we fly most intensively and that would give a good indication.”

Tiger currently flies a triple-daily service between Melbourne and the Gold Coast. He also said Tiger expects to take delivery of its two A319s in the next couple of months, with “their own set of announcements” on new routes.
-tw
Old 8th May 2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
Would Tiger use Melb's International Main terminal, or will they add a few sheds onto T4???

International flights go through the international terminal no matter who the carrier is.
Old 8th May 2008, 03:31 PM

Unless Tiger plan on creating a brand new subsidiary or sell half of Tiger Australia. Isn't Tiger Australia unable to fly internationally unless the airline is owned by at least 51% by local interests?

Jason
Old 8th May 2008, 05:17 PM

Mick,

I think what Lukas is trying to get at is that international airlines that fly to / in Australia are exempt from being majority Australian owned if they have intentions of flying across the ditch...

Eg; Similar to what EK, LA and AR do at the moment.