Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2008, 02:56 PM

Default Virgin Blue 'could fold over fuel costs'

From NINEMSN.COM.AU:

Virgin Blue Holdings Ltd faces financial oblivion if jet fuel remains at record prices and the carrier cannot raise fares to cover the increase, an analysis by broker JP Morgan says.

"If jet fuel were to stay at current levels for several years and Virgin Blue could not significantly increase fares, it would not survive," JP Morgan analysts Matthew Crowe and Russell Crichton-Browne wrote in a note.

In some relief to airlines, crude oil for July delivery fell more than $US2 to $US122.30 s barrel overnight.

JP Morgan said if high fuel prices persisted, an equity injection would not help keep Virgin Blue airborne.

"Equity injections would be futile as prices would not cover costs."

The two analysts said that even with $1 billion in equity Virgin Blue would become insolvent under this scenario .

"A five per cent fare rise is not enough to cover fuel costs," they said.

"A $500 million equity injection would buy some time in the hope that fuel costs fall, but if fuel did not fall Virgin Blue, on our analysis, would eventually become insolvent despite the equity injection."

The analysts said two back-to-back five per cent fare rises would save the company and reduce the need for an equity injection.

However, they said the resulting growth profile would not be very attractive, with fiscal 2015 estimated earnings still below fiscal 2007.

"Virgin Blue needs to raise fares to cover the cost of fuel, rather than raise equity.

"To create a profile of strong earnings growth at the current oil price, we estimate Virgin Blue needs to raise fares by 10 per cent and then raise fares 0.5 per cent per annum."

The analysts reduced their December 2008 price target to 85 cents "reflecting cuts to our earnings estimates and current fuel price sentiment".

"Risks to this price target include fuel costs, capacity and further loss-making expansions."

Virgin Blue last lifted its airfares on May 6.

One-way fares on Virgin Blue domestic flights increased by between $5 and $10, based on flight sector length, and its Pacific Blue branded trans-Tasman and short-haul international fares increased by between $5 and $15.

At 1353 Thursday, Virgin Blue was up 3.5 cents, or 5.83 per cent, to 63.5 cents.
Old 5th June 2008, 04:01 PM

Cool Virgin Blues

I am all for a competitive aviation market, but will not be sad to see them go ... am happy to have a quality flying experience over a cheap fare.
Old 5th June 2008, 04:25 PM

Well thats a quality statement right there. So you are suggesting that the travelling public, especially those who can now afford a trip because of the competition in the industry, should just suck it? Does this also mean that they should close Jetstar as well? oh dear

It just might be that the quality airline you referred to not only lost, but damaged my luggage last weekend, then complained that it would cost them too much to freight it to where I was staying?

Old 5th June 2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter S View Post
I am all for a competitive aviation market, but will not be sad to see them go ... am happy to have a quality flying experience over a cheap fare.
??

I have ALWAYS had a high quality experience with Virgin Blue?
Old 5th June 2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
??

I have ALWAYS had a high quality experience with Virgin Blue?
Usually an amusing experience, too.
Old 5th June 2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
all well & good for you but what about others that want cheap fares? and believe me, they aren't much cheaper than Qantas.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 5th June 2008, 05:38 PM

Unhappy Virgin Blues 2

Wow, my first post and so much controversy!
Cheap Fares in a market as small as Australia was always going, and will continue, to be problematic ...
The simple economic fact, in my increasingly humble opinion, is that the economies of scale are not there ...
Hence my comment to aim for a quality service, over cheap fares ...
But then again, I may be wrong ...
Old 5th June 2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Wow, my first post and so much controversy!
Cheap Fares in a market as small as Australia was always going, and will continue, to be problematic ...
The simple economic fact, in my increasingly humble opinion, is that the economies of scale are not there ...
Hence my comment to aim for a quality service, over cheap fares ...
But then again, I may be wrong ...
no, i think there is some real economies of scale being achieved.

the whole costs line has been pushed up a lot due to the high price of oil...hence we see new start ups disappearing, only the established stay (and those with decent financial backing).
Old 5th June 2008, 07:47 PM

Slightly off track but for some reason, maybe because im tired i found this weird.....

P.S Don't read the story (you most likely have already) look at the Advert....

But seriously I do hope that DJ get thru this....
Old 5th June 2008, 07:57 PM

Post Rhys & Greg ...

Rhys,
We have seen the 'second' or third' airline go under various times in Oz of late ...
Surely we cannot blame all of this on the high price of oil?

Greg,
Funny ... very funny ... and weird too ...