Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2009, 06:58 PM

Some good mature responses here guys, it's good to see.

However, I'm sorry Andrew, but I'm with the other blokes on this. If an officer of the law requests to see my ID and ask's me what I'm doing, I'll more than happily oblige, knowing that they're simply doing what is requested of them by the powers that be. As NickN said, proactive policing is the best way to prevent crime. We may not be the one's who are going to commit crime, but what's to say someone else who they ask, isn't?

I'm keen to try and understand why you don't feel the need to?

Mick
Old 30th April 2009, 07:59 PM

Come and live in victoria where all they want is revenue from the roads.We get 3 km an hour tollerance and the fines are shockers.We do get left alone when spottiing though.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:29 PM

Default cops

Ray they are like that here on the roads, but thankfully there is little hassle at the airport.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 1st May 2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris d View Post
I'm actually surprised that people standing on ladders are accepted. I don't know what the AFP stance on that is - but I have no intention of finding out. I'll leave that to the more dedicated people.
I've always been told by airport security and the AFP that ladders are fine as long as they are at least 3m back from the fence line.

I have been approached while at the fenceline numerous times by security, who have always been friendly in explaining that they just need to check up on what I'm doing - there's never any problem whatsoever.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:43 AM

My attitude, which is appreciate is not the majority, is that every citizen should be able to proceed with life with minimally regulations, (can be defined as Libertarianism).

A basic right is the ability not to be stopped by a government official; unless that government official is following the law of the land.

It is not an offence in Australia, fortunately, to look at aircraft and take photos of them (in most circumstances).

Police in NSW have extensive powers; far greater than police in most other ‘modern’ nations, including the United States, Great Britain and Canada. Those powers are constantly increasing

Politicians have to seen to be strong by passing more draconian laws every day, N Rees Esq, standing answer to a problem is to increase the fine or change the law, Barry has to agree with each Rees move, so as not to look weak.

For example look at the current bikie laws, where Nicholas Cowdery QC, the NSW Director of Public Prosecution, says they "were unnecessary and offend against the rule of law".

Although police have a right to ask for your identity, in most situations you do not have to give it. Exceptions include traffic offences, refusing a breath test, when the police ‘reasonably believe’ that you witnessed a serious crime and after you are arrested.

So if you aren’t breaking the law by spotting, the policemen should follow his side of the law and not ask for identity.

Banjo
Old 1st May 2009, 02:24 PM

I do agree that checking ID is an invasion of privacy especially in a situation where there was no offence.

But the airport is a high risk area and I do believe we have a unique privilege to be able to get such fantastic views of aircrafts that could easily be blocked off for 'security' reasons.

While it may not be thier legal right to check ID in that situation I think its a bit of give and take. We get these excellent views for some small sacrifice of our legal rights in a particular area.

I personally am more than happy to go give up that legal right for the excellent viewing opportunities. It is also assuring to know that the area is kept secure.