Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2009, 08:16 AM

Jeff, the mound is at the base of the control tower.
Old 30th April 2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grima View Post
Unless you have something to hide there should be no concern in given the cops your ID. Remember you can always ask them to see there badge as well.

Cheers

M
Australia is not a police state, so no policemen should be able to interfere with a citizen unless they have a belief that person has committed a criminal offence.

The Government has no right to know what I am doing or where I am, unless the crime proviso above applies. By checking ID online, my name and then location in now held in Government computer for ever, THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

the younger generation are giving up this basis right without question

Banjo
Old 30th April 2009, 11:28 AM

Fair dinkum...

Just let the coppers get on with their (very difficult) job. Their is no point having a bitch and a whinge because they asked for ID...just show them the stupid card, what does it matter?

Takes 5 seconds of your time to hand them your drivers liscence, and everyone is happy. If they tell you to leave, just be polite, point out that you are allowed, have spoken to the AFP blah blah blah.

Its seriously not an issue to get all workd up about, let alone all the civil libertarians getting involved...If I am around an airport taking photos, I expect to be asked who I am and what I am doing...an airport is not an invitation for photographers going around doing whatever the hell they want.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:20 PM

While it is my understanding that the police have no right to force you to show id in that situation (please correct me if I am wrong, I have no legal background), it would appear highly suspicious if someone refused to show ID - the first thing that will go through the cops minds is "what does this guy have to hide?"

I have absolutely no objection to police asking me for ID - what harm can possibly come about from the "big bad" government knowing that I took pics at the airport that day - just look at jetphotos.net and you'll see what days I was there.

As Mark said, one of the main reasons they check your ID is to see if you have any history of related offences or warrants. Feel free to refuse to show ID and then see what happens!! I assure you it will be much more hassle than just showing them your damn drivers license.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:26 PM

The real issue here is not whether they ask you for your ID, but what is done with the ID and whether any information about your current activity is stored somewhere.

That's another discussion, though, but that's where the civil rights issues are.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:30 PM

I was the one who spoke to the police with Bernie last weekend.

It seems as of late justifyably or not (thats up to what you think) AFP patrols around the mound, beach and key spots we frequent have been far more. I for example saw at least 2 in the few hours I was spotting at the mound with Bernie on saturday morning.

Now I guess this is fair enough- they are doing their jobs and youd hope they are protecting our airports well. This becomes a problem when they feel the need to constantly come up, ask us what we are doing, take down names etc etc which really is not necessary unless we are breaking a rule ie closer then 3 metres to a fence or within airport perimeter.

This time we had 2 young women from the Botany Bay Police as Bernie says who came in their patrol car onto the mound and up to us saying they had recieved a phone call and reports- (from public or AFP or whoever im not sure- they didnt say) about unusual activity occuring here and they wanted to know what was happening.

A quick explanation of photography, the forum and we are in constant contact with the AFP was enough. There were about 15-20 of us in total there including a few from this forum and I was asked who the rest were with the question are they all part of this forum seeming a bit strange to me as many were grandparents with young children!

Either way- they checked the details (presumably with AFP) and left. The point is we have to be compliant because these are the guys with the power and unfortunately could close down or restrict our viewing access if we are to be rude or arrogant towards them.

There are a couple of people (i presume so, but am not sure if they are on these forums) who have been in the past week at least tending to stand at the fences very close (ie closer then 3 metres). I saw this on Saturday and another spotter told me he saw it the week before.

I urge these person/s to stay back within the legal limit of 3 metres as it could potentially result in it recking the priveleges for all of us. I believe the reason the police might have been called on Saturday was someone close at the mound fence (closer then 3 metres).

Anyways that being said- hopefully we can enjoy many more days of spotting at the brilliant locations at Sydney!

Last edited by Matt_L; 30th April 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
Fair dinkum...

Just let the coppers get on with their (very difficult) job. Their is no point having a bitch and a whinge because they asked for ID...just show them the stupid card, what does it matter?
NO
Old 30th April 2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Australia is not a police state, so no policemen should be able to interfere with a citizen unless they have a belief that person has committed a criminal offence.
Based on that comment, you are saying that the police should sit back and watch until a criminal commits an offence and THEN take action, rather than proactively seeking to stop a crime before hand.

The whole idea of the patrols, and the asking of ID and questions is a common form of proactive policing. More often than not people are legitimate in their actions and whereabouts but there comes a time when this is not the case and the police catch a crook.

As a society we always seem to complain the police never do enough, then when they do something constructive we tear them down. Can't have your cake and eat it too if you want to feel safe and protected.
Old 30th April 2009, 01:15 PM

Default What principle are you applying here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
NO
I understand you feel strongly about this, Andrew. Do you also refuse to undergo the security scan when going airside to catch a flight? What about at an RBT stop - do you refuse to show your licence? Do you show your bag contents when leaving a shop if you're asked?

I'd much rather Police satisfied themselves that someone was safe than to ignore them and discover they were up to something nefarious. You are of course entitled to remain silent, but then they are entitled to draw inferences from that.

In this day and age, loitering and taking photos close to the perimeter fence of an airport is probably reasonable cause to ask you for id anyway. If you decide to take a contrary stand, it might rebound on all of us. Please at least give that some mature thought.
Old 30th April 2009, 06:10 PM

Australia is a police state ! at least NSW anyway , too many rules and regulations that limit good citizens going about there everyday life ! overregulated with too many different police departments on a power trip !!