Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th March 2010, 03:07 PM

Default Qantas Replaces Jetstar On Rockhampton Route

Quote:
QantasLink announced today it would increase services to Mackay and Rockhampton in Central Queensland from 6 April 2010.
Under the enhanced schedule, the airline will operate:

* 24 weekly return services between Mackay and Brisbane, an increase of eight services per week; and
* 47 weekly return services between Rockhampton and Brisbane, an increase of six services per week.

Alongside changes to Jetstar's operations (see below), QantasLink's new schedule will increase overall Qantas Group capacity across Mackay and Rockhampton by more than 2000 seats each week.

QantasLink Executive Manager, Mr Narendra Kumar, said the airline's enhanced schedule would be operated by new 74-seat Q400 aircraft and particularly benefit business travellers.

"This latest increase in our Queensland regional operations is a further demonstration of our commitment to these communities and to communities across the state," Mr Kumar said.

"All of our new services will be operated by our Q400 premium regional fleet, and these additional QantasLink services from Brisbane into both Mackay and Rockhampton are scheduled to operate at peak travel times.

"The additional Mackay services will include a weekday flight departing Brisbane at 6.35am and departing from Mackay at 8.45am. The additional Rockhampton service will depart Brisbane at 5.30pm and depart from Rockhampton at 7.10pm.

"Increased frequency is always valued by our customers, and our flight times will particularly benefit business travellers wishing to connect to Qantas's broader domestic and international networks in Brisbane and beyond."

QantasLink has invested over $600 million in 21 new Q400s since 2006, with ten aircraft based in Queensland. The airline is Australia's largest regional operator, providing around 1900 flights each week to 54 destinations, including 22 across Queensland.

The increase in QantasLink services will be accompanied by changes to Jetstar's operations in Mackay and Rockhampton. The airline will increase weekly return Mackay-Brisbane services from 21 to 28 from 10 May 2010 and cease Rockhampton-Brisbane services on 9 May. Passengers booked on a Jetstar service from 10 May will be given the option to transfer to a QantasLink service.

A review of the Qantas Group's operations into Rockhampton determined that QantasLink was best placed to grow its operations in this market, with Jetstar to grow its presence in other parts of Queensland.
Qantas/QantasLink seem to be announcing new/increased domestic services every week lately.

Good to see!

Apparently airport charges at ROK is one of the reason for JQ leaving.
Old 4th March 2010, 05:54 PM

yeeesss....airport charges...
Old 4th March 2010, 07:33 PM

Wink

Qantaslink, NOT Qantas, Brad. When you state Qantas, you imply a jet service. A Dash 400 is hardly a jet. I'm surprised Kumar didn't drop the catchphrase "jet-like speed" in his press release.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:09 PM

I agree with you Hugh.

I was thinking ROK routes is operating with QF B737-800 instead of JQ A320-200. Now that's just QF Q400 Only. So should be QantasLink.

Meanwhile I just wondering whether there'll be significant drop of seats on those routes, since a Q400 carries only 72 passengers instead of 177 on A320. Such a change may show decrease of capacity of over 100 seats in this service. Perhaps due to poor patronage and passenger's preference on QF over JQ?

There's no changes to the QF Official timetable at the moment, but hope they can announce soon.

Anyway, with such changes on Mid-Southern Regional Queensland, I just wondering whether Qantas will return ports like OOL, PPP and HTI where we can enjoy free food and QF FF Points when flying to those holiday destinations?

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD
Old 4th March 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
I just wondering whether Qantas will return ports like OOL, PPP and HTI where we can enjoy free food and QF FF Points when flying to those holiday destinations?
You can also earn QF FF points on JQ services, just choose the higher fare...

How does that saying go...

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...
Old 5th March 2010, 07:36 AM

Here is the article from the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin;

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...ier-pulls-out/
Old 5th March 2010, 08:44 PM

Story in the Mercury Newspaper with a similar issue brewing as per ROK with JQ.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article...ania-news.html

Considering HBA flights are on average 4% fuller than LST flights (despite LST fares being cheaper), I couldn't see them filling many extra seats to LST even if they did switch some. Although maybe QF could add some more 73H services to HBA in place of the ones that JQ want to drop, in the same way that they added more DH4 services to ROK? The increased landing charges haven't worried TT or DJ, with TT recently going double daily HBA-MEL, and DJ up to triple daily HBA-SYD, plus up to five daily HBA-MEL by the end of March.
Old 5th March 2010, 09:13 PM

Default ROK - How busy

Not entirely on topic but I was in ROK today for abot 3 hours and did not realise just how busy the port was...
Qantas Link made it look like a major base with DJ a close second
Old 5th March 2010, 10:25 PM

Can get quite busy, especially when the defence forces of Singapore, US and New Zealand are in Rockhampton for Talisman Sabre. I have seen the usual local traffic with 2x Singapore Airlines B777's, and Air NZ with their B747 and the World Air DC10 on the apron. Makes us local folk feel important!
Old 6th March 2010, 07:03 AM
Lukas M

Rocky has high airport charges? Yeah, Over my dead body it does...

Quote:
Considering HBA flights are on average 4% fuller than LST flights (despite LST fares being cheaper), I couldn't see them filling many extra seats to LST even if they did switch some. Although maybe QF could add some more 73H services to HBA in place of the ones that JQ want to drop, in the same way that they added more DH4 services to ROK? The increased landing charges haven't worried TT or DJ, with TT recently going double daily HBA-MEL, and DJ up to triple daily HBA-SYD, plus up to five daily HBA-MEL by the end of March.
If the increase of charges go ahead, you can say goodbye to Tiger's ADL run and possibly the morning Melbourne run. Wouldn't put my money on TT/JQ adding the possibly dumped HBA capacity into LST.

I guess the only solution to offloading the extra charges is reduced amount of seats from all carriers vs higher loads/yield from not enough seats on the market.