Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 21st May 2010, 01:36 AM

Default DC-3 VH-CWS at YSBK today, very nice! :)

Hi all

Was doing a preflight for some circuit training today at about 1415, when a DC-3 did a flyover of Bankstown Airport. Very very nice and majestic aircraft, did a flyover, and then joined the circuit for an arrival onto 11C, which we eagerly watched as it came in for a landing very smoothly.

Hearing the crew on the radio requesting a flyover of Bankstown Airport so that people can watch DC-3 join the circuit was definitely a great contribution on their part and I'd definitely like to express my personal thanks for them. I imagine many people fortunate enough to be at the airport today at the time would have definitely downed tools to watch this aircraft flyover. The ATC recording of this fabulous moment can be found on LiveATC here

I was also fortunate to have been in the presence of Ken Andrews and Bill Whitworth with us while witnessing the DC-3's landing, which was followed by some of their anecdotes of past experiences with DC-3s.... understandably, we got in the air a little later than expected

The following photos I managed to sneak of VH-CWS...

(Just above the green wingtip)

Does anyone know the story behind VH-CWS? A review of CASA rego search shows the aircraft as registered with Westpac Bank in Concord West, and a Google search reads it formerly operated out of Western Australia on charters and the like.

More so, are there any operating DC-3s left in Australia one could go on flights aboard? Been meaning to do so, and kicking myself I never did when they were 'frequent' enough at YSBK departing from the Aviation Museum.

Such moments like this continue to inspire me and appreciate where we've gone in Aviation.

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 21st May 2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:09 AM

I also saw the DC3 yesterday, was very nice to hear he was going to do the overfly down the runway, so ran outside to catch a glimpse.

Also, how did you get the recording? And how can you record liveatc?
Old 21st May 2010, 08:33 AM

VH-CWS was ZK-AMS with Pionair Adventures, and prior to that it was VH-PWN with Bush Pilots.

Flown:
Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Bombardier, De Havilland Canada, Ilyushin, Yakovlev, Tupolev, Shorts, ATR, McDonnell Douglas, Fokker, Embraer, British Aerospace, Antonov.
Old 21st May 2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
Also, how did you get the recording? And how can you record liveatc?
It's done automatically on the website. Just go to www.liveatc.net and then go to LiveATC Audio Archives and select the airport (YSSY or YSBK), find a particular time you want (Add +10hrs for AEST when selecting a time in Zulu), and Robert is your father's brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torin Wilson View Post
VH-CWS was ZK-AMS with Pionair Adventures, and prior to that it was VH-PWN with Bush Pilots.
Thanks heaps!

Does anyone know what it's doing in Sydney? Is it based here for a while or is it doing some lucky chap's charter?
Old 21st May 2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks heaps!
Old 21st May 2010, 03:32 PM

For DC-3 flights try
http://www.dc3experiences.com.au/index.php

Steve
Old 23rd May 2010, 05:04 PM

Someone has paid a deposit on CWS but it is uncertain if the deal will go ahead. If not, Slattery's have 25 aircraft in an auction June 18 and CWS will be in that. Peter Edwards flew the DC3 from Rutherford on Friday.