Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 8th June 2018, 12:54 PM

Default Drone photo/video restrictions in Sydney airspace?

When it comes to flying drones (slightly off topic), I am referring to you guys because you will know more about the topic than I do.

A guy was operating three drones last night. One was easily as large as a family-sized pizza. This was not at YSSY, but at the annual 'Vivid Sydney' festival on Sydney Harbour.

Sometimes he was flying one drone at a time. On other occasions, all three were flown simultaneously.

These were large powerful drones being flown all around the harbour from Milsons Point (takeoff and landing at Kirribilli) to Circular Quay and everywhere else, including very close to Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I will phone CASA today to find out what the rules and regulations are, but this guy last night was out of control, and I did not know who to phone to report the matter as late as 11pm.
Old 8th June 2018, 05:00 PM

If he wasn't a commercial drone operator, anything over 100g. Also hobby/commercial, he can't operate at night. Also operating more than one drone is totally a no go.

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/lan...ones-australia
https://casa.dronecomplier.com/external

Flightradar24 feeder (F-YSWG1 & T-YSWG2)
FlightAware feeder (YSWG/6482)
Old 8th June 2018, 05:11 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.M View Post
If he wasn't a commercial drone operator, anything over 100g. Also hobby/commercial, he can't operate at night. Also operating more than one drone is totally a no go.

https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/lan...ones-australia
https://casa.dronecomplier.com/external
No drones full stop in the harbour at that location, unless prior permission is given, only Notam I see is for Darling Harbour.
Old 8th June 2018, 09:17 PM

I was at Vivid last night and from the southern pylon of the harbour bridge saw a low flying green light cross the harbour below the height of the Opera House towards Circular Quay. I thought it must have been something associated with Vivid but this could have been the drone you are referring to.

Interestingly, a low flying helicopter with red and blue flashing lights did a number of orbits to the east of the harbour bridge and was using a powerful spotlight on occasions looking at craft on the harbour. I presume this was a Polair helicopter doing security patrols but it could have been looking for the drone operator, seeing if he was on one of these boats.

So, if they were looking for the drone operator, the Police may have been tipped off by someone else.
Old 9th June 2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
I was at Vivid last night and from the southern pylon of the harbour bridge saw a low flying green light cross the harbour below the height of the Opera House towards Circular Quay. I thought it must have been something associated with Vivid but this could have been the drone you are referring to.

Interestingly, a low flying helicopter with red and blue flashing lights did a number of orbits to the east of the harbour bridge and was using a powerful spotlight on occasions looking at craft on the harbour. I presume this was a Polair helicopter doing security patrols but it could have been looking for the drone operator, seeing if he was on one of these boats.

So, if they were looking for the drone operator, the Police may have been tipped off by someone else.
Yes, it seemed to be a Polair chopper. It did several laps and visits with the spot light. I thought they might be searching for someone who had fallen into the water.

I have spoken to CASA, who informed me that drone pilots on Sydney Harbour should be reported to the water police. Such drones are often confiscated and the police contact CASA to ask if they also want to investigate the drone pilot. Sydney Harbour is a no-go area for drones, so is piloting a drone at night or using multiple drones.

At the time, I had no idea who to report the matter to.
Old 9th June 2018, 11:10 PM

I was under the bridge at Milson's Point on Thursday night. Not only was the police chopper doing some laps with its searchlight activated, a police launch was very close to the northern shore. There was also a police car parked nearby. I didn't see or hear any drone/s but there was something obviously catching police attention.
Old 17th June 2018, 10:56 PM

Yes, you saw exactly what I saw.

A couple of days later, I saw some guys at Circular Quay get busted for operating a drone off the Cahill Expressway. However I think a lot of these people are backpackers or foreign holiday-makers with no knowledge for the relevant laws and restrictions. The fines are steep.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:16 PM

Could of been a Youtube celebrity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57R1mVPsQ9U

Always a classic..... No regard for the law at all.