Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th September 2010, 05:31 AM

Default Aviation Week Photo Competition

The American aviation magazine, Aviation Week and Space Technology runs an annual photo competition and I've looked at their results issue for maybe the last 5 or 6 years.

I'm convinced that the works of some of the YSSY photographers would have shaded many of the efforts of past contributors and even past winners.

So, how about it? Here is the URL for the entry details...

https://a1.ecom01.com/aweek/665f69643d31303030/FM.cgi

BTW, I have no connection with the magazine apart from being a subscriber. I just believe our YSSY photographers can mix it with the best!
Old 29th September 2010, 05:54 AM

I would suggest anyone thinking about entering this comp , read the rules before sending of your photos.

"Images may not be manipulated beyond the minimum brightness and contrast; no increase in saturation, retouching, or collaging of images will be allowed." is clearly stated which means that the majority of peoples images which they have already shot would not be accepted - after all - most of us sharpen our images as that is a requirement of both A.net and JP.net.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:34 PM

Well spotted!

I'm not a photographer but wouldn't one keep the raw shots in the "as taken" condition and save the manipulated shot with a different name/location?
Old 29th September 2010, 07:14 PM

My understanding is that the camera, when it captures a picture, saves it in the format you specify. If this is JPG, then the RAW photo is manipulated by the camera to a JPG with various levels of sharpening which can be adjusted within the menu system in camera.

A RAW photo will always need some sort of retouching process external to the camera to ensure that it is not soft or underdone.