Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2011, 08:31 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Bankstown - Australia Day 2011

Although there was a thick fog along the Northern beaches this morning, I managed to get out flying before the day got just too hot
out west. It was still quite hazy with visibility at 8km and solid cloud to the west. Bankstown was fairly quiet today, I guess everyone
is out doing things on Australia Day, however here are a few things I found interesting this morning.

VH-PTH AS.350BA (1653) 1982 Operated by John Weymouth. With 260 on the side it may be one of the fire spotting choppers.
Interestingly the 260 has an Australian flag built into it.

VH-SSV SA226-TC (TC-383) 1980 - Operated by BES Operations. I can remember a number of Metro III cigar tubes operating commuter
services out of Essendon in the 1980s.

VH-SSV SA226-TC (TC-383) 1980 - Operated by BES Operations

VH-SSV SA226-TC (TC-383) 1980 - Operated by BES Operations

N20865 Bell 214B (28065) 1981 – Bank Of Utah Trustee

N234PH Bell 214B-1 (28050) - McDermott Aviation (Bank Of Utah Trustee). When I saw this chopper at the end of last year it was being
fitted with the firefighting rig (See http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost....64&postcount=2)

N234PH Bell 214B-1 (28050) - McDermott Aviation (Bank Of Utah Trustee)

N234PH Bell 214B-1 (28050) - McDermott Aviation (Bank Of Utah Trustee)

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 26th January 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 26th January 2011, 09:21 PM

VH-PTH is an ex National Parks & Wildlife Service machine. Here is a photo of it with the NPWS.

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=199610
Old 27th January 2011, 09:19 AM

Hey Grahame this might sound a bit of a silly question, but does an ASIC entitle one to wander around BK taking photos? I say this because there's been a number of occasions when I've just had an urge to go for a bit of a wander from Schoies to check out the RFDS base and the NSW ambulance base, etc as well as the Erickson Sky cranes and VH-CWS.

I mean, I know the ASIC entitles the wearer to be on the aprons, but I was hesitant to go exploring only to next minute end up with the BK security asking questions.

Cheers

P.S. how often does VH-SSV actually fly? Because it seems that every time I am at BK/Schoies, it's parked in exactly the same spot looking like it has never flown since the last time I saw it.
Old 27th January 2011, 09:58 AM

Russell,

I always go walking around BK to have a look at some of the aircraft, and an ASIC is all that you need. I doubt that anyone would approach you anyway, unless you were peeking too closely to their hangar.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:40 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Russell,

I always have a wander around Bankstown after I have been out flying, there is generally something new to look at each time. I always wear my ASIC when walking around with the camera and have never had any problems. Yesterday the security car drove by while I was photographing the choppers, I gave him a wave and he waved back then carried on driving.

It's all a bit common sense really, if you were to get too close to taxiway Kilo and the runways I am sure you would attract attention from security or the Tower (then security). I regularly walk along the Alpha 2 apron to look at the NSW Ambulance choppers and the Convairs and most of the people you meet are only too happy to have a chat. I have also walked around the Police choppers, you just need to be a bit careful with the main chopper pad next to Mike 2. Definitely no problems heading up and around taxiways Alpha, Delta and Bravo, you just need to watch out for taxiing aircraft and the odd chopper heading in or out of the hanger area.

SSV is almost always parked in the same spot although it has been out some days and occasionally parked a little differently. I have never seen it actually operating and had assumed it was used for cargo.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:58 AM

Thanks Jason and Grahame,

Yeah I just wasn't 100% sure because BK can be quite busy at times on those main aprons, and I didn't want to risk it. But I might go for a bit of a look around Alpha 2 and Delta 1 next time I'm down there.

I know the NSW Ambulance and the CV580 are on A2, but where exactly is the RFDS base? I would hazard a guess that it is on A2 sharing the space with NSW Ambulance, but if I'm not mistaken, I've seen a KingAir or two heading around to D1.