Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd September 2008, 05:28 PM

Default Spotting 4/9

I know this is quite late notice, i'll be at the mound in the morning after 9ish (depending on M5 traffic) hoping to catch Viva Macau, United, Aerolineas and Lan. If you will be there during that time pop over and say hi.

Kieran
Old 4th September 2008, 09:44 AM

Currently on the mound, does anyone know what these are about? Fancy blocking our view...
Camera phone, so excuse the quality...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 4th September 2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
Currently on the mound, does anyone know what these are about? Fancy blocking our view...
Yeah i noticed them on Tuesday morning Bernie as i went down to photograph Martinair ( ended up with Martinair, cathay cargo, MasKargo and altlas air, alll with 2 hrs ). Because i dont usually go there at this time due to work, I assumed they work around the area during the week. I noticed they do this around the back of the radar mound as well. Hopefully they go soon. Those light poles are a bugger as well. The amount of top shots i have of aircraft on rotation with a light poloe going up the center it. Hopefully the photos entries for October feature light poles
Old 4th September 2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran wells View Post
I know this is quite late notice, i'll be at the mound in the morning after 9ish (depending on M5 traffic) hoping to catch Viva Macau, United, Aerolineas and Lan. If you will be there during that time pop over and say hi.

Kieran

Was planning a couple of hrs everyday there this week Kieran. I was giving Wed- Sat a break due to the cloud. I not sure about everyone else, when i first started taking photos, i was clicking at everthing i could see no matter how far or dark it was. These days always try to get a good shot. I'll even spare a rare aircraft if the shot does not look good Is this a bad trait to have as a spotter

Last edited by Tony G; 4th September 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 4th September 2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Night works on the runways and taxiways. They're parked there just inside that access gate during the day.
Old 4th September 2008, 02:32 PM

Ok, home now as it was kind of miserable out there being grey and windy... But I have a couple of shots, one is Wunala:

And the other has a question about a QF 763 (Any 767 for that matter...). On the pic below, what is this 'hinged' thing? Is it an a 'tail strike' avoidance thing or something similar, or just an outlet???

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 4th September 2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
On the pic below, what is this 'hinged' thing? Is it an a 'tail strike' avoidance thing or something similar, or just an outlet???
Yep, a bumper for very slight tail strikes. Won't do much in the event of a wild over-rotation though. Perhaps AJ or Will can elaborate?

Last edited by Andrew McLaughlin; 4th September 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: To elaborate
Old 4th September 2008, 07:44 PM

that's the retractable tailskid on the 767 - I was told (if I can still recall correctly) that they paint it with many layers of paints so that if a minor tail strike does occur, they could work out how many layers of paints were worn off.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
that's the retractable tailskid on the 767 - I was told (if I can still recall correctly) that they paint it with many layers of paints so that if a minor tail strike does occur, they could work out how many layers of paints were worn off.

I noticed the retractable tail skid on the B737-800's has a colour guide on it, to indicate the serveity of the tail strike.
Old 4th September 2008, 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=Bernie P;12031]Ok, home now as it was kind of miserable out there being grey and windy... /[QUOTE]

yes do agree that it was abit windy out there today. Did get a few decent shots myself.

It was quite hard to keep the hand still to take photos. I did move to the beech after getting a hot krispy kreme coffee. And i'm glad i did with the second viva macau shot below..