Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2009, 01:18 PM

Default Qatar airline snubs Melbourne to fly to Sydney

From SMH
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0306-8rfe.html

Quote:
Qatar airline snubs Melbourne to fly to Sydney

Matt O'Sullivan

March 7, 2009
THE Middle Eastern airline Qatar Airways has been granted immediate access to fly to Sydney, after bypassing an original undertaking to fly to Melbourne.

It is a slap in the face for the Victorian Government and Melbourne Airport, which lobbied hard two years ago for Qatar Airways to be allowed to fly to Melbourne.

Changes in the air services agreement between Australia and Qatar mean the airline can begin seven flights a week to Sydney.

Under the previous agreement, Qatar Airways had been allowed to fly only to Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth. Services to Sydney could start only 12 months after an Australian airline or Qatar Airways began flying the Doha-Australia route.

The Herald understands that Qatar Airways approached the Rudd Government this year to seek access to Sydney. Industry insiders said the Government would have been keen to approve flights to Sydney to attract more foreign visitors.

Talks between the Transport Department and Qatar ended about a fortnight ago. A spokesman for the federal Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese, confirmed yesterday that Australia had concluded a new air services agreement with Qatar.

The Howard government announced in March 2007 that it would allow Qatar to operate daily flights to Melbourne and Brisbane. But Qatar has not taken up the option to fly the Kangaroo route between London and Australia via its base in Doha because, without the right to fly to Sydney, it was not commercially justifiable.

Emirates and Etihad Airways were also granted permission in 2007 to nearly double their flights to Australia by 2011. Victoria's Labor Government was one of the protagonists of the successful push in 2007 for the Howard government to grant Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad more access.
Meanwhile, Singapore Airlines has said the Government's aviation green paper portrays the future of international aviation policy in Australia as "ambiguous and protectionist".

It has called for liberalisation of international routes into Australia, criticising the country for not following other nations such as the US, New Zealand and Singapore in liberalising bilateral arrangements.

"Australia has been slow to recognise this trend and consequently remains relatively restrictive in its approach," it said.

It described as "meaningless" the policy of securing capacity ahead of demand without the Government putting a time-frame on decisions.

Qatar Airways declined to comment yesterday.
Old 7th March 2009, 01:41 PM

They'll get to Melbourne eventually, doesn't really matter.

It's been on the table for a long time, and I thought they wanted to fly to Melbourne originally - Through my reading of the situation it appeared that way.

Flying Qatar in June, so i'm looking forward to that
Old 8th March 2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
=O

lol! weird as
Don't expect too much at DOH... Terminal is being rebuilt at the moment, and the two food halls (at opposite ends of terminal) are not much either!

It is also bus to and from terminal from the plane as well!!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 8th March 2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Qatar Airways is on a staff recruitment drive in Australia

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story_...yId=1093237328

Current Long Range Fleet
2 Boeing 777-200LR
6 Boeing 777-300ER
4 Airbus A340-600
16 Airbus A330-200
13 Airbus A330-300

Fleet on Order
80 Airbus A350s (including options)
60 Boeing 787s (including options)
29 Boeing 777s (including freighters and options)
5 Airbus A380-800s
Old 8th March 2009, 12:20 PM

Any body have a start up date?
Old 8th March 2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
Don't expect to much at DOH... Terminal is being rebuilt atm, and the two food halls (at opp ends of terminal) are not much either!

It is also bus to and from terminal from the plane as well!!!
I know, i've read about it lol.

Luckily though, its only 2.5 hours on the way to Athens, and only 1.5 hours on the way back in Doha.

Enough to get to say I've been to the middle east and Qatar, but not enough to regret it
Old 8th March 2009, 02:08 PM

The more the merrier, looking forward to another middle eastern carrier to photograph.
Old 8th March 2009, 11:35 PM

I'm wondering about the start up date too,as well as what equipment they are going to use. I'm assuming A346.
Old 9th March 2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
I'm wondering about the start up date too,as well as what equipment they are going to use. I'm assuming A346.
Does B772LR have the range?

Depends on their deliveries...I think the A346 is likely.
Old 9th March 2009, 06:18 AM

The B777-200LR's would be a waste, approx 2.700nm over the performance range. The A340-600's 818nm over range and the B777-300ER's is 1.248nm over, so I would go for the B777-300ER.