Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd May 2008, 08:28 AM

Default Night time on all flights

As I am talking Qantas at present what gives with this all window blinds down just after take-off ( maybe a little later) on QF International especially. Why have windows.

If they want dark all the time why have windows at all.Interesting that one selling point on the A380 is the large windows.Who b.... cares if you can't look out.

ON a recent flight to LA (QF 93) the steward asked to put blinds down. I said no thanks I want to see Fiji as we pass over. He said why do that when I am here. I'm Fijian.

Thanks Qantas
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:46 AM

I had this as well on SK between NRT and CPH... Left NRT around 10.30am (from memory) after overnighting on QF21. Not that I "argued the point" with those 'lovely' Danish stewardesses (), but I wanted to see what was underneath as well!! We ended up coming to an agreement, that I can have it opened for little segments here and there, and whilst the meal service was happening...

And, on the SK flight between CPH and MAN, I was in the back of the mad-dog where there was no windowm and fel asleep before even getting to the end of the departure taxi!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:58 AM

Its as though someone has told them that sleeping passengers put less demand on the air conditioning (fuel saving) or eat less food. Its not so bad on oceanic flights, but stupid on overland daylight flights, particularly where the flight arrives in the late afternoon local time.
It annoyed me greatly on a Singapore Frankfurt/Singapore flight, and I spent a lot of time looking out from half a blind up by the toilet area.. while cabin staff tried to have it closed. It was high noon and I was keeping an out for them for missiles upbound from the Taliban..
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

You will find that a primary reason for the closure of blinds is to allow:
  • Opportunity for customers to sleep
  • Ability to better view the IFE
Specifically IFE viewing would drive this thinking. I have been in situations where I have had bright sunlight directed directly into my eyes sitting in a middle row from a passenger window.

I had to manipulate my body into an uncomfortable position to avoid the sharp light and view the IFE at the same time.

Darker environment, brighter/clearer IFE.

Especially when the entertainment is via main screens.
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:29 PM

Default Let's just use freighters for the passengers!

Why have windows if we have to keep the blinds up? And don't tell me to put the blind down when the sun is in my face and we're still 100 nm from touchdown!!

I can accept the safety issues which require blinds to be down close to final approach or if there is some inflight emergency, but the whole reason I request a window seat is to look out the window - that is my IFE!!
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:41 PM
Prolific Member

Philip, there's no safety in having the blinds down during final approach.

If the plane crashes, I want to be able to see in an instant if there's danger on the side of the aircraft I'm planning on exiting from, and not waste valuable seconds having to lift blinds to check!
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:29 PM

Default Blinds UP to close and DOWN to open

I should have made clear that the blinds I was talking about are ones that lift to close and lower to open, in case anyone misinterpreted my comments!
Old 24th May 2008, 12:37 AM

Easy, give the passengers who want to sleep during daylight hours a facemask...

Granted, they are uncomfortable to wear, but better than getting the sun in your eyes when you want to sleep.

Should be a good idea for the airlines, they'd no doubt be charging for the privilege of sleeping. Nice extra cashflow, that...

On the other hand, they'd probably charge extra for looking out the window, too...
Old 24th May 2008, 08:32 AM

i can't wait for the 787's to come online they will not have blinds but self dimming windows that can be adjusted by the individual I am told
Old 24th May 2008, 09:11 AM

Yes Malcom, here are those windows. Nice and Big!