Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2011, 09:01 AM

Default QF A380 in Adelaide 17/5/11

Morning all,

QF10 SIN-MEL diverted to Adelaide this morning. Arrived just after 0400 and departed 2 hours later. Aircraft was A380 VH-OQI.

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 17th May 2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
A MELBOURNE-bound Qantas plane was forced to divert to Adelaide this morning after crew discovered it did not have enough fuel.

A Qantas spokesman said the A380 from Singapore made the unexpected pit stop around 5am AEST.

He said the low fuel supply was not the result of a leak.

"Engineers have inspected the aircraft on ground this morning in Adelaide and found there were no technical issues," the spokesman said.

"The flight crew found they had burnt through the fuel supplies quicker than expected.

"It was not an emergency landing."

The jet carrying 249 passengers was expected to arrive in Melbourne about 7.30am (AEST).
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226057229931
Old 17th May 2011, 09:24 AM

249 passengers on an a380 is quite empty!

surprised there was no media on board saying they were scared for their lives...
Old 17th May 2011, 09:33 AM

Wonder if they get fined for breaking curfew under non emergency or medical conditions
Old 17th May 2011, 10:31 AM
Prolific Member

Would you have preferred they kept circling over Adelaide until the fuel situation did require an official emergency declaration?
Old 17th May 2011, 11:33 AM

Dont be silly, fact is pilots made a gross miscalc with fuel load, and I have heard fines are incurred for aircraft landing in curfew. Except for aircraft emergency or medical emergency. Prob landed on coastal end anyway so no dramas with noise usually

Last edited by steve k; 17th May 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:40 AM
Lukas M

ADL Airport is still in court with Tiger over missing curfew times, it was something like $5000, then went up to $20,000, yet they are probaly still ahead. ADL tower usually gives around 15-20mins dispensation, but Tiger had wheels up at 11.45pm.

Well if the A380 kept going onto Melbourne, they would be holding for nearly 2 hrs until works finished on 16/34.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:08 PM

Whoa there sunshine!! Gross miscalc? I think we might need to back up the bus there until the facts are available.

The a/c may well have made it safely though not legally through to MEL, but without enough diversion fuel to go to ADL or SYD if there was an issue. What was the outside temp possibly affecting burn rate? What were the winds like? Did these things alter enough to eat into the margins.

I would rather they splash and dash than put me as a pax into a dangerous situation. Engineers have cleared the a/c of any issues,

You may be right, but a grandious statement off the top like that is exactly what the news papers do. I know you are more educated than they seem to be.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:10 PM

Question Let's await more facts

There has to be more to this than what's been reported. The key issue for me is the reported 'surprise' by the crew. Stronger than expected headwinds are not unheard of, but the increased burn rate would become apparent in plenty of time and the crew would hardly be surprised to find themselves running low on required reserves.

So were the flight crew in fact taken by surprise by low fuel, or were they taken by surprise by unexpected abnormal weather, or did something else actually occur? Hopefully the ATSB will take a look at what happened in case it was a data input error of the kind that caused the EK tailstrike out of MEL a few years ago.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:40 PM

Similar thought occurred to me too.

Being removed from the main stream, I can't judge the likelihood of such an occurrence, however, struck me as odd that there could be such an issue and for it to be "surprising".

I thought it would be like me leaving Sydney with a full tank in the car, expecting to get to Brisvegas and then discovering at Coffs Harbour that I only had enough to get to to Grafton ! ! ! !