Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2009, 11:16 AM

Just noticed that there aren't many planes showing up over Sydney at the moment, even though i can see them passing over me from 34 departures to the North?
Is this because people don't have their SBS or whatever they are using on and uploading to PP? There are also green, red and blue triangles various places...is this that MLAT i have been hearing about or something?
And there seems to be times when there is no coverage of the Sydney basin, only the surrounding area?

Cheers
Gerard

Last edited by Gerard M; 15th May 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:18 PM

The green and red triangles are aircraft who aren't able to report heading and speed data therefore PP cannot predict their course.

And the reason aircraft are flying over your head but not appearing on PP is because they are not ADS-B enabled.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks Nick. Just seems like there is not a lot of traffic in the immediate sydney are when normally i see quite a lot even allowing for the non ads-b equipped ones.
Old 15th May 2009, 02:32 PM

Yeah it's annoying sometimes. Most of the newer deliveries show up, and all the international aircraft do. It's a little hit and miss.
Old 15th May 2009, 03:00 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Gerard,

I have just setup PP alongside my ACARS setup and have been sharing data which gives a good coverage from Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane. I have just added some waypoints to the basic chart of SE Australia, and plan to create my own charts fairly soon. So far I am quite happy with the setup.

Have a look at www.16Right.com and press the Plane Plotter button to have a look at the live screen (updated every 15 minutes).
Old 15th May 2009, 03:47 PM

Hi Grahame,

I saw that on there the other day, nice addition to your website.

Gerard
Old 15th May 2009, 04:55 PM

Sorry Gerard,

I have to plead guilty to the lack of aircraft or rather lack of feeds from the Sydney area. Due to a miscalculation on my behalf have to restrict my internet connection in the AM periods for the next couple of weeks until the new billing period starts. There are a couple of other feeders in the Sydney area but may not have been on at the time you were asking about.

The MLAT project is still under construction here in Sydney. So far we only have two MLAT groundstations and need a third for it to work. However, there is a good chance that this might take place this weekend. Whether you will receive the data depends on which version of PlanePlotter you have installed and whether you are card carrying member of the PP MLAT fraternity.

Again my apologies for the "No Show" today but hings should be up and running now.

Noel White
Old 15th May 2009, 05:46 PM

Ah that explains why this afternoon it all started to appear "as normal" again!
No need to apologies. As for this Mlat thing, i've got a relatively recent version of plotter but am not a card carrying one. Can people just streaming the PP feeds still use Mlat? If so how do i go about it?

Gerard
Old 15th May 2009, 08:21 PM

From the PlanePlotter web page

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

Multilateration in PlanePlotter
Multilateration to locate Mode-S aircraft that are not transmitting ADS-B position reports, is a premium service within PlanePlotter. Only "Master Users" of PlanePlotter can initiate multilateration requests.

SBS1/SBS1e users who are regular raw data providers are automatically Master Users. If you are an SBS1/SBS1e user and if you have set up your system to provide raw data to the multilateration scheme and your system has been validated and you make it generally available for other users' benefit, then in return for your contributing raw data, you are automatically entitled to Master User status and there is no additional fee for using this feature. Note that providing raw data is not the same as the routine Internet sharing of aircraft data between users and very occasional or intermittent provision of raw data does not qualify. Only regular raw data providers have automatic Master User status.

If you are a PlanePlotter licence holder but are not an SBS1/SBS1e user, or if there are reasons why you cannot contribute raw data regularly, you can request temporary Master User status for an experimental period of 21 days using the link below. If you request the 21 day trial, you are not committed to paying any fee unless you want to continue to use it after the end of 21 days. After that, you may choose to pay a small fee of Euro 12.00 (plus VAT in EU countries) to continue as a Master User. To request your 21 day free trial, please follow the link below.

Request 21 day trial of Multilateration.

http://www.coaa.co.uk/mlat_request.php

Just be aware that MLAT hasn't been set up in Sydney or Melbourne yet, but there is a race on be the first in Australia. It may happen this weekend - fingers crossed.

Noel White
Old 15th May 2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks Noel I guess i'll wait till its been established here in Sydney and then see if i can get the 21 day trial. And it if turns out its good value i'll see if i can pay my way through to becoming a master user!

Gerard