Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st November 2008, 07:36 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Bankstown Today - RFDS & DC-3

I headed out to Bankstown to check out a couple of aircraft I would like to fly and took the opportunity to stop in at the Sydney Aviation Model & Memorabilia Show and have a look around in general for some interesting photography opportunities.

I was all done with the aircraft inspection by 1000, so I headed down the the main Terminal building to the Model and Memorabilia Show. Schofields gave me a half price entry voucher, and the organisers were running a door prize competition as you entered the terminal.

While not a huge number of participants, there were plenty of plastic and die cast models, clothing, books (a couple of 1960s Observery Books of Aircraft), badges, DVDs, posters and photographs. I had a chat to The Air League guys and then stopped past Sam Chui who had his new book and prints for sale.

Outside the terminal, facing the apron, there was a bar-b-que going and helicopters rides in a Robinson.

After a good look around the show I headed back up to the hanger area (hanger 330) and shot the RFDS Beech B200 (BB-866) built in 1981. As I returned to my car I saw a nearby hanger door open and stuck my head in for a look.

Inside was a DC-3 undergoing restoration, and the two engineers working on the aircraft invited me in for a look. Can't say I have seen a flying DC-3 since the last Avalon Air Show, and the Sydney Chicken and Champagne flights in the DC-3 have long since gone.

The aircraft was originally at Camden, and was moved back to Bankstown for the restoration. All the internal lining has been completed in cream and grey green, with wallnut panels in between (see the main door image below). Most of the cockpit instrumentation and all of the rigging has been completed. The forward bulkhead is going to be moved slightly aft to make way for a lounge area, with more lounges in the read cabin. At the rear of the aircraft there will be a toilet and bar area.

They are currently working on the undercarriage and have plenty of newly spray painted parts hanging up to dry prior to fitting. Two reconditioned engines are on their way and the aircraft will be moved to a larger hanged so that the outer wing sections can be fitted. The aircraft will be finished in the existing colour scheme but with a gloss finish for durability and lower mainienance.

The work should be completed by mid 2009.

Thank you to the restoration team for the look around and good luck with the remaining work.

Good to hear they will keep the original livery.

A temporary exit sign, the lower panel is completely hinged open to reveal the wiring harness.

The elevator hinge assembly is in place ready for the control surfaces, all fabric
covered.

The new interior colour scheme can be seen on the rear door. Toilet and bar area located at the rear.

The interior is looking really good with the wallnut panels giving a corporate jet appearance.

Most of the instruments have been fitted and the panel colour matches the main cabin area.

Overhead panel is in the same cream trim and is ready for the switches and gauges to be fitted.

These engines will be replaced by reconditioned ones which are on their way. The port undercarriage has been fitted
and the starboard has been sprayed and ready to go in also.

The aircraft should look really great with a gloss respray of the original livery.

RFDS Beech B200 (BB-866) VH-MSZ built in 1981

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 1st November 2008 at 10:21 PM.