View Single Post
Old 12th February 2009, 08:44 PM

A quick visit to flight deck (invited by the Captain) before takeoff. The load master is busy calculating the load sheet (in the middle jumpseat). A NZ journalist is busy interviewing the captain on his feeling of bringing the A380 to New Zealand on this historic day.

We climbed out of AKL around 1950 local time, (took more than ¾ of the runway to finally rotate, perhaps on idle power setting for takeoff?)

Window view from 9K, as we catch the sunset by flying westward to Sydney.

So far it has been a super day for me with every wish granted. However, I developed a very soar back during the inbound flight and the situation got worst on the return flight. I was carrying a heavy camera bag and the goodie bag was packed with heavy books and leaflets. I have to try to lie flat for some rest on most of the return flight. However, I still determined to stay up for dinner.

Appetizer: Seared Tuna and Nicoise Salad

Main: Grill Prawn Salad (other main course are Rosemary Chicken Breast Fillet, Cold Deli Platter and Pasta Ravioli)

Dessert: Lime Cake

Gorgeous sunset outside the window during dining time.

After the meal service, I turned on the noise reduction headphone and listen to some relaxing music. The flight cruise at 40,000 feet and total journey time was around 2 hr 50 minutes.

We touched down on Rwy 34L of Sydney around 2055 local time (50 mins delay). During the approach, with some sudden wind gust, the A380 wing tumbles and dropped (up and down) a bit. We touched down with some cross wind.

The tail camera shows A6-EDD parked at Gate 57 waiting the continuation journey to Dubai later that night.

The cockpit of A6-EDD at Sydney.

Trip Reflection

Although I’ve lost some interest in travel and posting trip reports over the last 12 months, the flight on the inaugural Emirates A380 SYD-AKL-SYD left extremely positive and proud memory. I enjoyed the overall experience and highly recommend to anyone who shares the same passion. Emirates have grown and became very sophiscated from my first flight with them many years ago. The customer services from reservation to ground staff to flight attendants are simply superb. To me, good customer service means to deliver beyond what a customer expects and never say “No” to your passengers request. Emirates should be very proud of their talented and well presented multi-lingual staff. Co-incidentally my best flight of 2005 and 2006 was also on Emirates. I know A380 on EK412/413 will be very well received and very popular with the travelers. Congratulations to Emirates on putting out such world class products!

Hope you enjoyed my trip report and looking forward to any feedback and comments.

Sam Chui
Sydney, Feb 2009

My other trip report:

A380 Inaugural SYD-SIN Singapore Airlines Suites

To Russia 2007! (IL9,Tu3,ILW,T20 + SQ/TG F)

Airbus A380 Demo Flight Trip Report HKG-HKG

Pakistan Int'l B747-240BM Trip Report (Pics/Video)

Biman Bangladesh BKK-DAC-JED-FCO A310/DC10

Kras Air IL86 Moscow-Krasnoyarsk

Austrian B777-200 SYD-KUL In New J Class

Emirates A345 + 77W SYD-CHC, AKL-SYD (best Flight)

Etihad: Bangkok - Abu Dhabi - Beirut + Sights

Last edited by Sam Chui; 12th February 2009 at 10:08 PM.