Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2011, 08:18 PM

If I wasn't working tomorrow, I would definitely go to Melbourne for a day on the 77W
Old 1st November 2011, 01:47 AM

Question Immediacy of grounding warranted?

I'm OK with the lockout plan in all the circumstances, and understand that the consequence of the lockout was a grounding from the time that operational staff became unavailable. But I don't understand the basis for the grounding from the time of the announcement. It seems to be based on a fear that between the time of the announcement and the time the lockout took effect some members of the unions involved might (deliberately or due to distraction) do something inappropriate that would compromise safety.

If that's right, why has anything changed just because the FW Tribunal has ordered a termination of the rolling stoppages/threats/slow bake? Sorry to mention the elephant in the room but, whilst IR certainty has been achieved, the suggestion that termination means that safety is immediately OK again looks a bit too confected to me and certainly not supportable on the basis of the so-called conservative approach to safety which allegedly made immediate grounding a necessity.

For once I agree with the PM that immediate grounding was an unnecessary step and that the direct effect on 70,000 travellers and indirect effect on more than 100,000 additional people dictated a different course. IMHO the ends don't justify the means.

I hope we can have an objective and measured discussion about this without anyone taking offence.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:09 AM

Not a bad article in The Australian today:

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...joyces-salary/
Old 1st November 2011, 09:08 AM

Not bad at all... thanks Greg!
Old 1st November 2011, 10:50 AM

Personally, I think that the grounding was a masterstroke for Qantas. Clearly, the key parties (on both sides of the argument) were not negotiating in a conciliatory manner nor did they give the public any confidence that they were going to resolve this issue anytime soon. This was clearly demonstrated by the fact that the TWU warned that unionists were prepared to wage a year-long campaign of strikes against Qantas, whilst Aircraft Engineers Association secretary Steve Purvinas warned passengers not to book with Qantas before Christmas.

By its very actions, Qantas forced this issue to be resolved in the short term rather than a protracted battle that was going to last a long, long time. Personally, I would take three to four days of complete stoppage over a year of wondering when unions were going to call their next snap strike or go-slow action. But then again, this whole issue demonstrates that both Qantas Management and the Unions are equally prepared to screw the Australian travelling public to further their own causes and then have the gaul to blame eachother for the fact.

Nonetheless, I must say, that I have been impressed by the Australian and International Pilots Association. They have been very measured in their approach and their language and actions do not appear to have deliberately exacerbated the situation. It just seems that they got caught in the crossfire between other parties that have been acting like thugs and rat-bags.
Old 1st November 2011, 06:04 PM

Default The truth is coming out on the QF shutdown

http://ozhouse.org/2011/10/30/qantas...SO1NQ.facebook

Have aread
Old 1st November 2011, 08:36 PM

This was 'news' more than two months ago and merely provides a transcript for Xenophon's speech on Qantas way back on 23 Aug 11. Generally I never consider anything that comes out of a politician's mouth under parliamentary privilege as being, 'the truth'.
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:21 AM

Given the good work The Hon. Xenophon has already achieved for Australian aviation (the Senate Inquiry into pilot training and airline safety), I would believe every word that comes out of that gentlemen's mouth.

Why do so many people on this board find it difficult to deal with the possibility that:
a) Qantas is currently under some gross mismanagement (I would argue that's not a possibility, IT IS)?
b) Qantas is subsidising Jetstar and it's in much better shape than that little Irishman would have you believe?

There's one key ingredient to a successful business, HAPPY STAFF!!!!

Paul
Old 2nd November 2011, 04:16 AM

Senator Xenophon is not one to state information that doesn't have some truth to it. My sister worked for him before he became a federal senator and he was honest and a thorn in the side of the state government as he had no loyalty to either side of government or lobby groups. QANTAS has from all accounts opened its books up to the unions and nothing untoward has been found, although they still insist on Jetstar being supported by QANTAS airline. The truth is probably somewhere in between and without a full inquiry at massive expense to the taxpayer we may never know the full truth. QANTAS group management has an adjenda and what we are seeing in one of many moves in a long going play which has yet to be fully written.
Old 2nd November 2011, 05:46 AM

Joyce is an Australian, it is getting close to racism those calling him Irish