Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2008, 11:28 AM
Lukas M

Early to Mid March you can still grab a $995 return fare, weird as they are apparently "sold out". "There's still a chance"
Old 4th April 2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
this is UA's new offering..come to think of it...their business class could well become the best on the transpacific run and their first class suite isn't bad either.
From what I have heard during my time at UA check-in, Sydney was going to be one of the last international routes to get the new product. The new product brings their service back to international standard, but sadly the ageing interior of the 744s will be a let down (at the moment they look terrible inside). One of the let-downs is the Flight Attendants (the female ones) - most of which are probably above 50 and poorly-groomed, the other is the reliability of their 744s (which is shockingly bad for some reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
there is also the small fact that UA offers probably the best FF scheme going, its always got seats available, easy upgrades are available and the mileage needed is far less than most competitors, its why I choose Star alliance! I've NEVER not gotten a seat with miles when I wanted it.
Mileage plus is indeed a great FF scheme. It's probably one of the reasons why UA is still flying today despite the sub-standard products across all cabins (the other reasons are UA's network and corporate clients e.g. major companies). Global service members are treated like 'living gods' by all customer service staffs.

Regarding the available seats / upgrades issue - that's not always the case ex-Sydney, it depends on the loads for that particular day. Friday and Saturday are usually quite busy. When the classes are full it is really hard to upgrade anyone (someone else might be doing the same thing on the next check-in counter!!). LAX flights are more usually fuller than SFO flights.

btw upgrade by miles on UA is either 15,000 or 30,000 depending the booking class - this is a 1 class upgrade by miles. (sorry for the sidetrack)

back to topic..

I'm glad we'll see more 773ERs at Sydney and it's good for Branson to ditch his '4 engines 4 long haul' policy. Another thing to watch for is when Qantas begins deploying their A380s to LAX.
Old 4th April 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chan View Post
From what I have heard during my time at UA check-in, Sydney was going to be one of the last international routes to get the new product.
If this is indeed true and I think that it probably it, its another reason why UA are just not serious about Australia anymore!
Old 4th April 2008, 11:11 PM

Don't know if this has been discussed or mentioned in their press release/s, but will V Australia offer in-seat power for Economy-class travellers?

I had a look at the descriptions of each of their 3 travel classes, and only Business seems to have in-seat laptop power... but has there been any word on Economy getting this feature too?

Seems a little suprising that Economy won't get in-seat power, because QF will have this feature on their A380, and more and more airlines with new aircraft are offering this as a standard feature for Economy travellers - eg: Virgin America.
Old 5th April 2008, 12:10 AM

I would say Yes, as they are offering everything else and for all major operators its now becoming standard to offer Laptop power in Economy

Air Canada have it on all their 777's !
Old 5th April 2008, 07:17 AM

I hope so mate, and I agree, it is becoming a standard feature, especially on new build long-haul aircraft. Just on their website, in-seat laptop power is only given a mention under their 'Business Class' section and not mentioned in Y+ or Y class descriptions.

Nonetheless, still many months before they launch, so more information related to their in-flight service and amenities will become available.
Old 5th April 2008, 08:36 AM

Well they are competing with Qantas and the A380's really, the old 744's won't be around in 5-8 years!

However, like you said they haven't mentioned it in Y+ or Y which is a bit strange. I would definately say it would be a Y+ feature it simply has to be there.

Alot of their information is still vague as they are no doubt still signing off on everything and finalising the small things.

We will see in a few months no doubt!

Just waiting for their next launch now
Old 5th April 2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Just waiting for their next launch now
Not sure what you mean there Andrew? Are you referring to BNE-LAX? ... or do you know something that most of us don't...?

Last edited by Shameel Kumar; 5th April 2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 5th April 2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameel Kumar View Post
Not sure what you mean there Andrew?

I presume we will have a few more route launches in the coming months and I would also guess their will be a product launch for J, Y+ etc
Old 5th April 2008, 10:54 AM

Shameel Kumar: What Michael Morrison said is correct!

What we have seen is just stage 1 of their launch, from all accounts it went very well!

Next I would guess is the BNE-LAX route

Personally, all we have seen is the Y launch, and I am still hoping for a Y+ and J launch as well. However, not sure if this will happen, but at the same time not sure that people are going to book a full J fare unless some publicity occurs at the same time.

I currently have 2 x J seats on QF MEL-LAX-BNE-MEL for Jan/Feb 09 booked on reward points. If VA have a good J sale with say 2 for 1, I would cancel the QF Award tickets MAYBE..... With the upcoming "enhancements" to the QF FF program it would be hard to say either hang onto the current seats that I have of fly with VA IF they have a J sale.

First things first, wait and see IF VA have a J seat sale/launch!