Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th June 2010, 09:11 AM

I watched the news on channel nine about this last night and one segment had a 'spokesman' for the local action group saying 'this is the perfect time for Bankstown to initiate a 7pm to 7am curfew'. He had some convoluted reasoning that it would stop Sydney airport from sending larger aircraft to Bankstown 'like they plan to'. The guy was an utter moron.

Even using this idiots reasoning, does that mean that a tragedy like this can't happen if the airport is open from 7am to 7pm? Once again....utter moron!!
Old 16th June 2010, 09:40 AM

I saw the same idiot Greg. I was going to post up something but couldn't think of a way of forming the words together in a reasonable manner.

The guy was a looney. He was talking about things that weren't directly related to the incident and then went off on his own tangent to bring his personal and misguided beliefs to the table.

The interview I saw was on Seven, and to their credit, I think Chris Bath did try to keep him on track and eventually talked over him at the end to cut away from his speel. Seems he might've been able to spill out his feelings on the other channels as well though.

The curfew he was talking about would not have stopped the incident that happened yesterday from occuring, and then to talk about so-called plans to push larger jets from Sydney airport to Bankstown just sounded like nonsense.

I thought it was disrespectful to those involved in yesterday's crash to bring up the subject, but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

To the topic at hand, yesterday's crash was so unfortunate, but I believe the pilot did an excellent job in trying to return a stricken aircraft to a safe landing at Bankstown. Whether it was luck or something else, his actions meant that the only two people seriously affected/harmed were those aboard that aircraft.

Dan

04/09/14 QF129 SYD-PVG A333 VH-QPG :: 08/09/14 CX367 PVG-HKG 77W B-KQO :: 13/09/14 QF128 HKG-SYD A388 VH-OQH
29/09/14 QF556 SYD-BNE 763ER VH-OGO :: 30/09/14 QF008 BNE-SYD 744ER VH-OEG
Old 16th June 2010, 10:20 AM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
They talk about the dangers of light aircraft airports yet, in the same breath these critics conveniently forget about all the people who were killed on NSW roads last week.........by cars, a far more lethal weapon.

Having dealt directly with an anti-airport lobbyist who used to lobby against Bankstown and lately against Wollongong, I'm well aware of the spin they tell those who care to listen.
I am pleased to say however they can be quietened somewhat when they're embarrassed in front of their followers with the facts, instead of the tripe they spin. The Wollongong lobby has been rather quiet since I attended one of their meetings.....
Old 16th June 2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
I think a twin engined aircraft suffering separate engine power failures or other problems is likely having some kind of fuel problem.
I think you're missing Chris's point - there are reasons why a light twin engine plane may not be able to climb and/or maintain altitude with one engine fully operating.

Like Chris & most others on this board who have flown these types of aircraft, we'd be hesitant to post more as it just fuels media speculation at a very difficult time for many people.

Last edited by Adam G; 16th June 2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 16th June 2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins View Post
I
The guy was a looney.
I am glad it wasn't just me. I thought it was so wrong of Channel 7 to try and bring in some controversy to a sad story so soon after the event. If they did their homework they would of known to steer away. I am sure Chris Bath thought "WTF was that guy on about"

It had nothing to do with the event, besides the plane took off well after his 7am curfew time. Just some moron who bought a house in a flight path by choice and now whinges.

Richard wrote"
Quote:
They talk about the dangers of light aircraft airports yet, in the same breath these critics conveniently forget about all the people who were killed on NSW roads last week.........by cars, a far more lethal weapon.
Like where the shocking Grafton bus crash was 20 years ago on a Australia's second busiest highway... and still is only 2 lanes!

A plane crashes... they (media) need to blame someone like the government

Last edited by Jethro H; 16th June 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
The Wollongong lobby has been rather quiet since I attended one of their meetings.....
That's because you took the shotgun with you.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:19 PM

Why do people insist on watching "news" on commercial networks? Items are always sensationalised and experts are anything but....
Old 17th June 2010, 12:05 AM

RIP to the 2 on board.
I was quite shaken to hear the pilot's final radio broadcast knowing that he would not be alive after a few more seconds :~(

I am glad that he kept clear of the school and other people on the ground

Numloxx's Flightlog
jetphotos.net
Old 17th June 2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ramsay View Post
That's because you took the shotgun with you.
That's how we roll down in the 'Gong
Old 17th June 2010, 10:18 AM
Prolific Member