Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2012, 05:38 PM

If Sydney Airport could handle APEC, the Olympics and other major events i'm sure we could cater for the G20 as well.

Sydney could easily handle more movements immediately if the ridiculous movements cap would be lifted to 120 as it should be, instead of 80 that is now.

POLITICS.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:39 PM
Prolific Member

I believe it was a case of having more parking space for the aircraft than other cities, nothing more and nothing less.That is how it came across up here along with the largest and most expensive new infrastructure roadway system in Australia called airport link due to open in a few weeks.

Yes i am sure it was a vote catching exercise but as us Queenslanders would say

And the winner is BRISBANE.

PS I believe a lot of spotters in Sydney already penciling it in.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:40 PM

I will be up there that's for sure.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:47 PM

We could park a lot of aircraft at Richmond, or better still make them land there and then let the polis experience the Sydney traffic, to get to the CBD, I'm sure they would love that, ha,ha. That's what a lot of Sydney commuters have to do every day.

Last edited by Morris Biondi; 11th July 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12th July 2012, 06:56 PM

I just heard on Brisbane Centre that holding time at YBBN is in excess of 60 minutes tonight. Is it weather related?
Old 12th July 2012, 08:55 PM

Yes Michael pretty bad weather in SE QLD, low cloud and rain. Just adding even more to the usual traffic-related delays.

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 12th July 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks Brock
Old 12th July 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Little View Post
Yes Michael pretty bad weather in SE QLD, low cloud and rain. Just adding even more to the usual traffic-related delays.
Just watched a late Jetstar MEL-OOL divert to BNE on plane radar, BOM radar didn't look too bad over Coolangatta but must have been poor visibility

Next Trips:
Feb BNE-CBR-BNE, QF
18May BNE-DPS-KUL-PEN-SIN-BNE, VA/AirAsia/QF
05Oct BNE-YVR-PDX-YVR-BNE, AC
Old 28th August 2012, 07:58 AM
Prolific Member

Brisbane airport will become a slot controlled airport next month as RWY 14/32 closes for 20 weeks.

Last Friday a new record(unofficial) of 697 movements were recorded by myself-nearly 700.

ARTICLE BELOW.

Quote:
From mid next month RWY 14/32 is expected to close for 20 weeks as it needs to be made into a taxyway once the new RWY is open.This involves resealing and new drainage etc.

The airport is also facing a possible curfew, with a government review of night time operations also happening before the end of the year.

Airport CEO Julieanne Alroe has conceded at the Aviation Summit in Sydney this week that peak hour demand is now just too great for single runway operations.

“As a result we are currently designing a runway management demand system – slots in the common parlance – that we expect will result in significant operational reliability outcomes for the airport and reduce some operating costs for the airlines,” she said.

Currently there are around 650 movements each weekday at Brisbane Airport and over 200,000 movements per annum.

By 2020 Brisbane is expected to have 270,000 aircraft movements.

Capacity is also being addressed of course by the construction of a parallel runway, but that will not be operational until 2020.

Alroe was also keen to talk about the upcoming review of the airport’s 24-hour operational status, a legacy of the ’09 White paper on Aviation.

“The review will be run by the Commonwealth and we await details of its structure with great interest, as we believe it will help us make the case much more plainly that a curfew on Brisbane Airport is not the most effective noise mitigation tool,” Alroe said Tuesday.

“It is a common misconception that a curfew will be a quick fix to solve aircraft noise problems, but unfortunately aircraft noise complaints are most often made about the frequency of morning flights and evening flights around dinner time; and night time curfew would not fix these problems."

“If anything, flights that would otherwise occur later in the evening would be pushed into these peak periods, increasing the frequency of flights at these times and creating more of an issue, not addressing it.''
Old 28th August 2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The airport is also facing a possible curfew
Ohhh here we go, the noise brigade is out somewhere.

Considering that Brisbane Airport does its best to ensure flights arrive and depart over Moreton Bay between 2300 and 0600 anyway, I fail to see what a curfew is going to achieve.

Pretty soon Australia is just going to be closed at night,

Mick