Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st December 2008, 02:41 PM

Default Pause to remember Pan Am 103

Hi

It's hard to believe it is 20 years ago today that PA103 was blown out the sky above Lockerbie, Scotland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...nd/7777808.stm

Anthony T
Old 21st December 2008, 03:14 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

I was in Melbourne for Christmas the day PA 103 was blown up, and I can still vividly recall the image of the right forward section of the fuselage, in PAN AM light blue, flat on the ground in one piece. It was probably the only recognisable piece left.
Old 21st December 2008, 05:46 PM

its hard to believe that one of the probable catalysts goes unnoticed each year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 22nd December 2008, 09:21 PM

My first transatlantic flight was on 1 November 1975, LHR-JFK, flight PA101, aircraft N739PA "Clipper Morning Light". It was years after the terrible events of Lockerbie that I became aware that "Clipper Maid of the Seas" was in fact the same aircraft. As Grahame says, who could forget the photos of the starboard nose section in that Scottish field?

A poignant, sad anniversary.

Steve L
Old 25th December 2008, 11:51 PM

A few years back I was in Lockerbie and went to the memorial to the victims of Flight 103. The memorial is located within the Lockerbie cemetery and I don't think yet I have been to, or stood in such a powerful place, with the exception of one of the insidious concentration camps. I can say that they may be gone but their presence lives on. I would suggest the way we keep their memories alive, and also the memory of why they died, is to visit these places when the opportunity presents and respectfully walk along the memorial and remind ourselves that they were not faceless victims but people with loving families who were travelling home for Christmas.