Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2009, 03:04 PM

Default C130 Low Flying

Just saw a C-130 fly over my house in Baulkham Hils quite low and fast, heading Sydney airport way. Does anyone know whether it was heading to do a fly by over Sydney somewhere or just the hooning around?

Thanks

Gerard
Old 26th January 2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
Just saw a C-130 fly over my house in Baulkham Hils quite low and fast, heading Sydney airport way. Does anyone know whether it was heading to do a fly by over Sydney somewhere or just the hooning around?

Thanks

Gerard
Unlikely that it would be "hooning around"!

Seeing as it is Australia Day, don't you think it's most likely off to do a flyby somewhere???
Old 26th January 2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
Unlikely that it would be "hooning around"!

Seeing as it is Australia Day, don't you think it's most likely off to do a flyby somewhere???
Yeah i thought hooning probably wouldn't be right, but was just wondering where it was heading thats all.
Old 26th January 2009, 03:27 PM

I saw it too (more correctly, I heard it!). Nice to see it - I would guess it has been flying around the harbour and was returning to Richmond.
Old 26th January 2009, 04:29 PM

At 1611hrs heard a low flying aircraft over my place in Neutral Bay. Managed to catch a glimpse at it headed south over the Harbour then banked left which would take it over North Head judging from where I was.
I was unable to identify the aircraft but judging by the sound and size I would guess it was the C130.

Strangely I was unable to see it on Webtrack. (waited the 40 mins to check)
Old 26th January 2009, 05:29 PM

Post C130 observation

Flew over my beach around 16:01 at no more than 150m I'd estimate - certainly the lowest flypast I've seen for a long time. It did a repeat about 4 km north some 20 mins later.

Oddly no trace of either flight appears on Webtrak - does anyone know why? Obviously it would have been radar tracked so has someone tampered with Webtrak to conceal the low level of the flight or am I just beong suspicious?
Old 26th January 2009, 05:32 PM

Has anyone ever seen a military aircraft on Webtrack?
Old 26th January 2009, 05:34 PM

Just a wild guess, but could it be because a military aircraft has a different transponder code/frequency to a civilian one? I presume atc can see it on their screens but maybe webtrak is not equiped or set up to do so?
Old 26th January 2009, 05:41 PM

I would assume that webtrack would not show military aircraft for security reasons - and yes i know doing a flyby is not secret, but i would guess that the program is designed to omit all military traffic. Military transponders do have extra capabilities and selections compared to civil models.
Old 26th January 2009, 05:55 PM

From the very quick glance that I saw of it, it was a C130H flying north from the Homebush Bay area heading north towards Pennant Hills with nothing on the altimeter other than the manufacturer's name. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one ). My wife reckoned that she could see the colour of the pilot's eyes.

Cheers,

Noel

Noel White