Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2009, 01:41 PM

Default Qantaslink to try Port Lincoln (again!)

From ABC online. Assuming the Q400 is based in Adelaide, I wonder how they will rotate it through the network - maybe a weekend ADL-MEL or ADL-CBR service, or maybe even PLO-MEL?

Quote:
Boost for Adel-Pt Lincoln air services
By Tim Jeanes

QantasLink flights for Adel-Pt Lincoln route

Regional airline QantasLink says it will introduce a new air service between Adelaide and Port Lincoln.

The airline will have 23 return services per week from February, subject to regulatory approval.

QantasLink says the route will use its new regional aircraft, a 74-seat Bombadier Q-400.

The airline previously used a smaller aircraft but stopped operating on the route in June 2006.

The other airline on the Port Lincoln route is Regional Express, using a 34-seat SAAB 340 aircraft.

The imminent addition of QantasLink services has been welcomed by Lower Eyre Peninsula Council chief executive Rodney Pearson.

"Increasing access and opportunity for people to visit has got to be of huge benefit so it's very exciting that this has come along," he said.

"The bigger planes, 74-seat planes, will actually be able to bring in groups of people so it provides opportunities for the conference sector."
Old 9th December 2009, 07:17 AM

Excellent news, though perhaps not for Rex!

How will the aircraft be rotated into and out of Adelaide? Via another new route ex-Adelaide that is only 1-2 pw to a port that is also served ex-MEL? MQL? LST? Or through a middle of day CBR-ADL flight 1-2pw?
Old 9th December 2009, 09:30 AM

apparently there will be 4x weekly MEL-ADL with the Q400. I think PLO-MEL or ADL-CBR would have been better...

Feel sorry for the passengers who book Qantas over the LCC competition ADL-MEL, to find themselves on a Q400!
Old 9th December 2009, 12:35 PM

Default Dash 8

Good to see the Dash 8 coming back to ADL.

Although I haven't flown on a Dash 8 yet, from what I have read the 400 is not as bad as the earlier ones.

Plus many people would not really care if it is a jet or turboprop on a short flight like ADL-MEL.

I also would guess that the flights the Dash 8s are used on would be midday and early afternoon flights.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 9th December 2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hothersall View Post
Plus many people would not really care if it is a jet or turboprop on a short flight like ADL-MEL.
I certainly wouldn't want to be a flight attendant on one of those flights! I remember a lady was inconsolable because we did not have a 767 to take her from Brisbane to Hamilton Island. A 717 simply would not do!

Many times on Cityflyer flights customers complain about the 737s - even ADL (which is pretty much all they get!).
Old 9th December 2009, 01:06 PM

In today's Adelaide " Advertiser " they are looking for Flight Attendants to crew these new flights
Old 9th December 2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
apparently there will be 4x weekly MEL-ADL with the Q400. I think PLO-MEL or ADL-CBR would have been better...

Feel sorry for the passengers who book Qantas over the LCC competition ADL-MEL, to find themselves on a Q400!
ADL-MEL DH4 schedules:

QF 2066 ADL-MEL (1030-1225) on Tue,Wed,Sat,Sun.
QF 2067 MEL-ADL (1320-1420) on Tue,Wed.
QF 2069 MEL-ADL (1530-1630) on Sat,Sun.

So the DH4 takes 10 mins longer each direction compared with the 737.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:28 PM

Default MEL/ADL/MEL on a Q400....seriously?????

You are seriously kidding if you think people will happily fly on a Q400 v a B737 or an A320.

Just doesnt make sense.....most I know would refuse to board if they did not realise it was a bugsmasher at the time of boarding!

And yes, I have flown on the Q400, its uncomfortable and its noisy.

Wont work, pure and simple.
Old 9th December 2009, 10:56 PM

Evening all,

I think melbourne is a terrbile option myself, canberra i thoguht would have bben the best option. As it isn;t a highly profitable route (i stand corrected on that statement) especially between now and XMAS when all the politicians and companies go on holiday's til late Jan early Feb next year. i know of a couple spotters here in Adelaide have been saying over the past few years since more and more Q400's have arrived why they haven't been used on CBR flights.

I will be keen to try out the Q400's to Mel, just as an experiance. With the Q400's starting on the Adelaide elbourne run. that takes the total of different varieies of aircraft flying on the Adelaide-Melbourne route to 8 (9: if you include the odd DJ E170).

A333's: QF and CX
A320's: JQ, TT
E170's: DJ (on the odd occasion)
E190's: DJ
B734's: QF
B738's: QF and DJ
B737's: DJ
B763's: QF (fairly common)
Q400's: QF Link

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 10th December 2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Boy View Post
You are seriously kidding if you think people will happily fly on a Q400 v a B737 or an A320.

Just doesnt make sense.....most I know would refuse to board if they did not realise it was a bugsmasher at the time of boarding!

And yes, I have flown on the Q400, its uncomfortable and its noisy.

Wont work, pure and simple.
The Q400 operates BNE-CBR-BNE on weekends against 737's and on most of the flights i've operated, loads have been about 80%. Few of the passengers seem to mind the extra 20mins.

Secondly, no one would be forced onto the Q400 ADL-MEL-ADL flights. When you book you can see what type of aircraft you are on. The aircraft and crew need to be rotated in and out of ADL, so you might as well sell some fares while you're at it!