Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2010, 10:12 AM

And now its around $170/h solo for a C152...plus throw in a $10-12 landing fee as well. Add an instructor, and you're tipping yourself into the $230+ per hour range.

By the way, I loved reading your accounts of BK back in the "golden days of GA".

Quote:
Richard U wrote:

Just quickly back to EAJ. This aircraft is used for survey/photographic work. Has been spending a lot of time recently back and forth over YSSY at 6000FT.
Cheers for that Richard. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I taxi past.
Old 17th August 2010, 07:25 PM

Have just caught up to this thread.

Have had four lessons booked consecutively now since today that have been cancelled due to the winds (Trying to go Solo). Frustrating yes, but I figured if I could control the weather, there wouldn't be a drought!

Thank you to all who've posted content about Bankstown back in the 'good ol' days'. I certainly would wish I could be born in an earlier decade to enjoy the likes of Australian aviation as it was back then.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:29 PM

I'm a bit curious with the previously mentioned notion that BK a few decades ago used to have a much greater volume of traffic than today. I think Grahame and Mick might have alluded to this.

I was just wondering whether this is consistent at most other GA airports around Australia (and in other parts of the world for that matter).

Can anyone vouch for traffic volumes at some other main GA hubs (e.g. Moorabin, Jandakot, Archerfield, Parafield, etc) a few decades ago compared to today??

Apart from BK and Camden, I haven't really had much of an opportunity to experience operations at other locations, especially in terms of traffic volume. If memory serves me right, I believe Jandakot seems to have exploded in traffic volumes over the last decade or two. Not sure about the other main one though.

Also, one of the biggest GA gatherings annually is the fly-in festivities at Oshkosh. I would think if a decline in GA world-wide was occurring, monitoring trends in traffic volume at Oshkosh would allow a comparison from year-to-year?