Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th April 2010, 10:14 PM

Default Alan Joyce apologises..

Here is the shortened version of Alan Joyce's apologies to QF Frequent Flyers that was emailed out today. The link takes you to a full indepth 3 page apology, including discussion on the incidents.

http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/...10-message.pdf

Dear Frequent Flyer
Qantas has recently experienced major disruptions to our international network. You may have been affected directly or indirectly by the disruptions, or seen the media coverage and speculation about Qantas safety and maintenance standards.

As one of our valued customers, I wanted to be in touch with you directly about this. I want to apologise if you were affected personally by the disruptions. I know that Easter is a special opportunity to unite family and friends, and I sincerely regret any frustration and anxiety you may have experienced due to the delays.

We hate disappointing our customers and we do all we can to rectify matters when things go wrong.

I also want to give you my personal assurance that you can continue to fly Qantas with confidence. Despite some sensational coverage recently, safety was never an issue. There were mechanical issues, but they did not represent safety threats. We always respond conservatively to any mechanical or performance issue, and we always put safety before schedule.

Every year the Qantas Group carries 38 million passengers to their destinations safely and home again. We continue to invest in the best fleet, product and service and in being a great Australian company. All of us at Qantas want to thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to giving you a warm welcome when next you fly.

Yours sincerely

Alan Joyce
Qantas Chief Executive Officer

Photos at: http://flickr.com/kieran380747 and https://www.facebook.com/Windsweptaviation/

Carriers flown: QF, VA, EK, NZ, BA, KA, CX, AS, BE, JQ, TR, SK, LH
Types flown: 744, 738, 737, 743, A380, A340, DH8, A320, ERJ190, 736
Old 9th April 2010, 10:49 PM

I'm so touched I think I could cry.

Who is this guy trying to kid ? An engine failure is a safety issue no matter how many engines the aircraft may have, if aircraft diminished performance due to engine failure is not a safety issue then why are there strict rules regarding things such as ETOPS for twin engined aircraft and why do emergency vehicles greet an aircraft returning with an engine out ?

Now all we need to see is AJ apologise to all the QF Staff for the wrong doings of his predecessor and bring back the maintenance from offshore and re-open Sydney Heavy Maintenance then I will believe that QF Management are serious about safety over schedule and bottom line dollars.

Last edited by Bradley Porter; 9th April 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 9th April 2010, 11:00 PM

I have confidence in QANTAS.

It's refreshing to see the CEO of a large company being proactive to admit that there were problems, apologise to those affected and take steps to solve the problems.

Consumers can't expect more than that and I hope that Mr Joyce is seen to be trustworty and that his honesty will restore confidence in the company and that his attitude filters through to the staff.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:03 AM

Actually Bradly you will find that the bulk of Qantas maintenance is actually done on-shore. Aircraft go offshore when the local workers are too busy, ie the surge work.

In regaqrds to what is and isn't a safety issue, I think your missing the point. Having a engine go U/S is just one of those things that can and does happen in ALL airlines. That makes it an operational maintenance issue. It is not a sign that there are problems in procedure nor quality of maintenance nor is it a sign that lives are in any way shape or form in danger. So not a safety issue.
Old 10th April 2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
I have confidence in QANTAS.
It's refreshing to see the CEO of a large company being proactive to admit that there were problems, apologise to those affected and take steps to solve the problems.
When you look at accountability this is a good thing to do. let's put it this way.. for a start his predecessor had never been this proactive, even in times of crisis. Re: maintenance being moved offshore, instead of getting caught up in the spin, just take a look at the BNE A330 Heavy Maintenance facility.

And just because maintenance is done offshore it doesn't make it naturally unsafe, likewise there is absolutely no guarantee that maintenance works done onshore are always free of error. It all depends on the quality of work, as well as oversight that is carried out.

Last edited by D Chan; 10th April 2010 at 11:32 AM.